goodies for good: photos from our vegan bake sale for japan!

After the earthquake and tsunami disaster in Japan, some of my friends started planning a bake sale to benefit the relief efforts which was held today at What Cheer. We started with tables and tables packed with donated treats, and with over 300 RSVPs we sold out of food in about three hours.

Cookbook author Isa Chandra Moskowitz signed copies of her books and volunteers from all over the city came to donate baked goods and time. Several restaurants and bakeries donated treats, and What Cheer (our neighbors in the Mastercraft Building!) played host. After all was said and done that afternoon, we were able to donate over $3,000 to Shelterbox, to benefit the victims of the disaster in Japan.

Amazing photographer and cool dude Justin Limoges took these photos during the day.

I love living in Omaha and I keep getting prouder and prouder of our community. Thanks again to Justin Limoges for these photos. This is going to be an amazing year for us.

nine × = 63

11 thoughts on “goodies for good: photos from our vegan bake sale for japan!”

1. Gary says:

Princess Lasertron, would it be ok if I used a “large thumbnail” version of one your awesome photographs in a 2011 Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale highlight page?

Thanks! No pressure!
    Gary

1. Hi Gary! Sure thing! Just be sure to credit Justin Limoges for the photo. xo

2. jenna says:

I wish I would have known! I would have stopped by to get some goodies!

3. Christina says:

I have the sudden urge to bake! That’s awesome you were able to raise that much money. Thanks to you and everyone involved for your hard work.

4. kim* says:

lil elfie is such a tot. and i would have gone to your bake sale, wow looked awesome, good job!

5. Missy says:

Stuff like this makes me proud of Omaha too! I love living here too (not all the time aka how long it took us to get Trader Joe’s but for the most part *lol*). Yummy stuff for a good cause…can’t go wrong there.

6. Ani W says:

What an awesome thing to do! I have friends who live there…so this is nice to see that other people are helping a country I personally love so much! Thank you!!

7. georgia says:

My dad lives in tokyo, and he said its been a crazy time out there, but getting better.

Good work :o)

8. sarah says:

amazing-ness:) everything looks so delicious

five + = 13

What would you do with a billion dollars?

Lately Sarah and I were talking about how much a million is, how much a billion is. The most striking thing I read recently that put it into perspective was that a million seconds is about a week and a half, but a billion seconds is nearly 32 years. Sarah asked me, what would I…

2014, in list form.

Wise people always say not to focus on the negative. It turns out that that's good advice, because there's a lot of positive out there. I was in a depressy mood last week depressing to my friend/advisor/midnight oil hero Jason about something I typically depress about, and when we started talking about what was good this year instead of bad, it felt like a much more successful year. Wildly so. Adventurous. Daring. Extraordinary. Fortuitous. And not nearly all work-related. My intention for 2015 is "less surviving, more living," but I sure did squeeze a lot of life out of the past year or so. 2014 is going down in history. Why not make a list? Here's mine.

Know that the next year will surpass all others.

"Oh passion-filled days, all steadfast and young, know that the next year will surpass all others, because it is new, and because it will be filled with moments that will remain unspoken of harsh and light, right along with your steady heart.
When we allow ourselves the sweetness of now, we may have all of the adventures that life has to offer in the coming year—if we are so fortunate as to have one."