how-to: use your pretty magazines to make a festive ball garland

When I am looking for inspiration for a project, I start by looking around my office or house for what I have too much of. What am I preparing to throw out that I could use in a different way? And like many of you, I’m sure, my eye always falls on the gigantic pile of magazines atop nearly every surface in my office. We all love to keep magazines–the layouts, the colors, the ideas and inspiration–even the pretty advertisements are inevitably ripped from their glued spines and pinned to our bulletin boards. But even the most ardent magazine hoarders (I’m looking at you, Mom!) have to clean house once in a while and pick some mags to let go of. Save your favorite pages and give them new life by making my new magazine ball garland.

Materials needed:

• Sewing machine
  • A magazine or two–I used one with lots of beautiful, brightly-colored pages
  • Scissors

Below I’ve outlined all of the steps in photos–it’s quite intuitive and easy to make your own. Luckily, this isn’t a project that must be done perfectly to be successful!

This is a pretty versatile tutorial–you can use the same technique to make tiny garlands to embellish gifts, big color-coordinated garlands to wrap around your Christmas tree, or just do what I did and make something to liven up your workspace. You don’t have to use just magazines for this project either–here are some other ideas:

• Use newspaper for a shabby black and white color scheme
  • Fringe the sides of the circles after sewing them–fan them out and fluff the fringe!
  • Cut the paper into different shapes–hearts, squares, flowers…
  • Vary the sizes of the circles from stack to stack as you sew
  • Make this project with other meaningful materials–cut big circles out of old greeting cards, saving the signatures of your loved ones. Reuse old school papers from your college years or artwork from a particularly prolific child in your life.

Make it project and upload your photos to our Princess Lasertron Projects group on Flickr. And if you like this project, you will also love the recycled magazine bouquet featured in the premier issue of Rock N Roll Bride’s new magazine. (Those flowers are next on my list to make and I will definitely share how they turn out!)

My outfit: Dress: Ann Taylor Loft // Jacket: Merona // Tights: Hue // Necklace: Erickson Beamon for Target

seven + 6 =

26 thoughts on “how-to: use your pretty magazines to make a festive ball garland”

1. Sarah Sue says:

I need a sewing machine… Hope Santa pulls through

2. Nan says:

Thank you for sharing this great and fun tutorial.

3. Susanna says:

This looks like a great project! But I’m not entirely clear on what happens in between each of the magazine-balls… How are they attached to each other? Do you just unwind extra thread and twist it?

4. Zim says:

This is awesome…something I’d definitely love to try out ASAP!! Only that I’ll get my mom to sew it manually since we don’t have a sewing machine!! :D

5. spookyzo says:

brilliant idea- gorgeous pictures… what is the white contraption on the shelf? A camera? I am intrigued!

1. yes that’s a fujimax instax camera!

6. Bonney says:

How many layer are sewn together? Very cute!!

1. around ten, I would say? doesn’t have to be exact.

7. Heidi says:

Oh My goodness!! I have a sewing machine! I have a HUGE pile of magazines and newspapers! I can do this!!!

8. Robin says:

I would never have thought of sewing magazines. It looks amazing. I would love it if you linked it up over at The T-shirt Diaries Upcycling Linky party: http://tinyurl.com/upcycled70

9. Diane kopke says:

I made pinwheels out of old maps for my stores windows last summer. I am going to do this project using maps. Thanks ao much!

1. oh I LOVE that idea! maps would be awesome. we have a lot of maps and globes that I’m bringing into camp so that might be a good idea for me too.

10. Those are pretty darn cute.

11. ellene says:

love this! I’m a well known magazine hoarder and people donate them to my art room, which just feeds my addiction!!!

12. Ah I love this! Too bad through out my magazines!

13. Elizabeth says:

Ooooo! Inspired to FINALLY set up my sewing machine! After the wedding, of course…one week away. Eeeeek!

14. omg this is so cute! would be a perfect xmas decoration

1. I know! I’m saving the gold/bright yellow pages from more of my magazines to wrap around my tree.

4 − = three

Creep on my apartment, a haven for all things feminine.

I just finished a particularly heavy cleaning session with Alice and wanted to share. It seems like 4 1/2 is when they really start getting useful...she did a GREAT job cleaning the dishes, wood floors, windows, tabletops, mirrors, and dusting. I just organized and folded laundry. New Airbnb guest (a radio DJ!) coming tomorrow, and we can't wait to host her. Until then, take a look. I love where I live.

Tuesday Bassen x Hello Holiday launches TODAY!

We’re SUPER excited to announce our collaboration with L.A.-based illustrator and designer Tuesday Bassen launching TOMORROW, February 13. Our local customers in Omaha, Nebraska can come to our showroom and offices at 5008 Underwood Avenue to meet Tuesday (who’s flying in from L.A.!) and get a free limited-edition HHxTB tote bag with any purchase from the collection.…

Startup Weekend Nebraska: Sign up time!

I’m excited to be on the organizational team for Startup Weekend Nebraska along with a bunch of other heavy hitters from the region, and it’s finally time to sign up and get your tickets! Startup Weekend Nebraska is a 54-hour event in which developers, designers and marketers pitch ideas for new products or companies, form…

Airbnb Loves Omaha <3

Right now I’m at my apartment folding and ironing sheets during my break at work to get ready for an Airbnb guest I have coming this Thursday. Her name is Jillian and she’s an event coordinator who is coming to Omaha to scout locations for a big project she’s working on, and I can’t wait to get to know her better while she’s crashing in my second bedroom.

Single Dating

One thing that you have to accept when you date someone with a child is that that child will always come before you. She will always be the most important person to the parent you are dating. Before I had a child, I probably never would have dated a parent, because I definitely wanted to build a life with someone who could go all-in with me. I wanted someone who I could have all to myself, to grow together, focused on each other.