today’s outfit: I got a perm

I have very, very straight hair.
I’ve had a bob for my whole life.
My Grandma gave me this haircut on my front stoop.
And I’ve had it ever since.
So I decided to make a little change and have some fun–no color, nothing crazy, just a fun little process called a Re4mer Perm!

The best hairdresser in the world Rebecca Forsyth gave me this process at Bungalow//8 Hairdressing, a lovely salon that has been great to me over the past year. I loved sitting under the hood dryin my hair, flippin through magazines, (I always wanted to sit under one of those!) and the results were just awesome.

So this is my hair now. If I wake up and I haven’t showered and do nothing to it (like I did today), it looks full of body and movement–a style I would have spent half an hour doing before. If I take a shower and scrunch in some curl cream, I have lovely waves. Deep side-parts and hair combs are my new thing.

I’m contemplating trying something even curlier later this year. I’m so addicted to curls now! Big hair is the big thing.

T-Shirt: Forever 21
Skirt: Worthington
Tights: HUE
Socks: Target
Shoes: Dolce Vita
Coat: Target
Bag: Miss Albright

+ six = 9

24 thoughts on “today’s outfit: I got a perm”

1. Eric says:

Love the hair permed, looks very cute on you:) Thanks for sharing, looks like you had fun while doing it. Would you even go a little curlier next time? Keep up the good work, you sem like a fun, quirky girl:) Eric.

2. How long will it stay curly? Do you have to continue to get it done?

3. Bianca G says:

Your hair looks amazing. I used to get perms when I was younger but haven’t in a very long time. I do miss having the body in my hair.

4. Sarah Perry says:

Oh my look how adorable you look! I think I want to try this!! Is it expensive??

1. it was about the same as any perm…I’d ask for a consultation.

5. oh wait… make sure to post pics when it’s curly…. get a diffuser it will make it magical and huge and curly.

1. I want a diffuser so bad but I am so cheap.

6. oh yay!!! you look fab.
    welcome to the big hair club…. :)

7. malibou says:

Oh this is so super cute on you. I have always loved your gloriously straight bob, but I have to say I think I like the waves even better. Love how you are styling it.

8. Lizz says:

Can I get that perm at any hair salon, or is that what your specific salon calls it? That’s exactly what I’ve been trying to do with my hair for years…with a curling iron…and time that I no longer have :)

9. Shannon says:

Oooh looks great on you! Sometimes a small change makes all the difference doesn’t it? I just got my hair cut yesterday, a bit shorter than I wanted and its def been a few years since its been this length, but i kinda like the change up and new hair-do possibilities!

10. Judith says:

Very cute!

11. amy vm1 says:

This is awesome! It looks great on you too. I have been wondering about re4mer. I have had straight hair all my life and so sick of it, but whenever I mention getting a perm everyone screams, “NO!!!!!!!” Is there any long term damage with this? I think to wake up and have body would be totally worth it.

12. Emily says:

Meg, I love your curls! They look great, and really natural! As someone with super duper naturally curly hair, I spent my first twenty years of life fighting it–straightening, ironing, products! As an adult I’ve finally learned to love it. I’ve heard from so many straight-haired ladies that they’ve always wanted curls. The grass is always greener! Anyway, love the curls :)

13. Vanessa says:

Looks great, just the right amount of wave and body! I have super thick, unruly hair and I admit I’m jealous you can do this :”)

14. Godmama Teresa says:

Love the hair! Glad to know what’s “old” is “”new” again (ask your mom about 80’s perms:)

15. HiLLjO says:

So cute! I haven’t had a perm in SO long! I love it on you.

16. Georgia says:

I ♥ IT!!!!!!

17. Kristine says:

See, now, I spent most of my adolescent life wishing for straight hair so I could have a bob like yours! But your new hair looks cute–I’ve been thinking about getting a perm to tighten up my waves. How long does the perm process take?

1. it took about an hour and a half.

18. Alexis R says:

You are so adorable! Love the new hair!

19. Renee says:

I love the new hair! Congratulations. However, my OCD makes me cringe at your workspace :)

20. Nick says:

Super, super, super adorable!

four − = 2

What would you do with a billion dollars?

Lately Sarah and I were talking about how much a million is, how much a billion is. The most striking thing I read recently that put it into perspective was that a million seconds is about a week and a half, but a billion seconds is nearly 32 years. Sarah asked me, what would I…

2014, in list form.

Wise people always say not to focus on the negative. It turns out that that's good advice, because there's a lot of positive out there. I was in a depressy mood last week depressing to my friend/advisor/midnight oil hero Jason about something I typically depress about, and when we started talking about what was good this year instead of bad, it felt like a much more successful year. Wildly so. Adventurous. Daring. Extraordinary. Fortuitous. And not nearly all work-related. My intention for 2015 is "less surviving, more living," but I sure did squeeze a lot of life out of the past year or so. 2014 is going down in history. Why not make a list? Here's mine.

Know that the next year will surpass all others.

"Oh passion-filled days, all steadfast and young, know that the next year will surpass all others, because it is new, and because it will be filled with moments that will remain unspoken of harsh and light, right along with your steady heart.
When we allow ourselves the sweetness of now, we may have all of the adventures that life has to offer in the coming year—if we are so fortunate as to have one."