For a sixteen-hour day, I leave the pencil skirts and blouses on the rack and go for jersey every time. I’m a big fan of collecting loungewear and styling it for long stints at the office, and if I have to run out for a quick meeting or do an errand, I still feel totally presentable even though I feel like I’m in pajamas. (I even wear slippers under my desk!)
So here are my tips for style with maximum comfort:
- Don’t skimp on the shoes if you’re sitting at a desk. A good, exciting shoe balances the casualness of a comfort outfit and elevates the look if you need to step out.
- If you are on your feet, wear some great flats and amp up the style with interesting hosiery or a pop of print. (And get some comfort inserts for your flats so you have enough support!)
- Stick to a monochromatic palette which creates instant style because it’s so deliberate.
- Buy new leggings once in a while. They get worn out.
- Wear sleeves and socks.
- Some details add style without sacrificing comfort–brooches on lapels, zippers on leggings, buttons on sleeves…look for comfortable pieces with a little something special.
This is today’s long day outfit.
shoes: steve madden
necklace: kate spade
lipstick: the elixery