Closing the doors at CAMP Coworking

When I started CAMP Coworking in June 2010, I wanted to build something with the support of my friends and community that would serve the rich culture of starters here in Omaha. For two solid years we supported the endeavors of over a dozen businesses that called CAMP home, and worked to offer opportunities for learning and inspiration to our community. Book tours, startup weekends, workshop classes, launch parties, speakers, poetry slams, and more happened within the walls of CAMP and I’m proud of facilitating a space where so many connections and ideas were created.

Today I am closing the doors at CAMP for good. A combination of reasons has contributed to my decision, mainly the financial burden of maintaining CAMP and new opportunities I am pursuing with my other companies.

After CAMP, I will mainly focus on building Hello Holiday, a social shopping site launching in July that I co-founded with Sarah Lorsung Tvrdik. Our goal with Hello Holiday is to introduce a charming and exuberant approach to style and the online shopping experience, and we are working to build our inventory right now–finding the right clothes to make every woman feel ready to take on the world. Our mission is to bring emerging designers into the mainstream fashion market and offer a carefully curated selection of apparel and accessories to modern women. The new Hello Holiday office will open in Benson soon.

Princess Lasertron, my bridal bouquet and project design company, will operate out of my house–like I did from the beginning–where I will be finishing my first book set for release in Spring 2014. By working at home, I’m looking forward to spending more time with my two-year-old daughter. We moved into CAMP nearly a week after she was born and she has been along for the entire ride.

CAMP was never a moneymaker–that’s the truth–and unfortunately I can no longer afford to sustain it. It’s hard to admit that things didn’t go as I wanted. Knowing when to stop is as important as knowing when to start, and it’s the right time for me to bow out.

This was a very difficult decision that I’ve been mulling over for months. I feel so lucky and honored to live in this community on the Silicon Prairie. We have an ecosystem here that is so supportive of entrepreneurship and creative culture, and coworking is a small piece of that puzzle. Although CAMP is closing, there are other spaces and venues that will fill that need and I encourage you to participate in building communities there. Coworking isn’t about space–it’s a philosophy and movement that empowers people to make their work better through collaboration, creativity, and openness. Coworking is about serving a need that people have, and that example is something that I’m glad CAMP brought to Omaha, and I’ll be glad to see it continue to spread. Thank you to everyone who has been a supporter, client, and friend of CAMP over the years. I’m excited for what’s to come.

Crossposted:
campcoworking.com
meganhunt.me

4 × six =

21 thoughts on “Closing the doors at CAMP Coworking”

1. Anne says:

You have such class. And you are totally right. Knowing when to stop and start is most of the battle. Congrats on all of your new and evolving endeavors. You are loved and supported in all decisions you make.

2. Tammy says:

Every experience is something learned. You are such a brave and exciting young woman. I am sure you have nothing but success in front of you – this is just one chapter in a very interesting journey . Keep on forging your trail – and we shall keep following along. I wish you much luck and happiness in your next venture!

3. Claudia aus Deutschland says:

i am sorry to hear that – somehow knowing that CAMP existed somewhere was kind of comforting. it felt like i could, one day, decide to come to omaha, and would find a great place to work at.
    but i am so glad you share your ideas and dreams with us.
    i believe in your decisions.

4. Dave Nelson says:

Congratulations! Proud to know you. Good luck and have fun with all the exciting things you’re doing!!

5. Judith Norman says:

So proud of you and inspired by your courage. Can’t wait for all the new endeavors.

6. Brittan says:

Super brave and admirable all around. I can’t wait for Hello Holiday!

7. Janice says:

Thank you. it is so inspiring to watch people who are willing to take a chance, do the work to make a creative space. It’s painful, like childbirth when it has to morph into another reality. You are an inspiration.

8. Gina says:

Sorry to hear you’re closing. I’ve followed your blog since 2009 and love how it inspires me. Look forward onwards and upwards.
    I look forward to reading your book.

All the best.

Gina

9. Sad news, but so much to look forward to. You have done so much, for so many people. You can’t carry the world on your shoulders, but you sure are an inspiration to so so many women.
    Congratulations on all you’ve accomplished. I can’t wait to see more from you, and to see Happy Holiday.
    You are remarkable. Cheers!

10. Kristen says:

Good luck Megan!

11. Megan, this is sad news. I will miss passing you and Alice in the hall, attending amazing events at CAMP, and the energy that the Princess Lasertron crew instilled in the building.

1. (But I am super excited for your new projects and hope to see you around town!!!!)

12. Thomas Sena says:

Congrats on pursuing your dreams and being and innovator and entrepreneur. CAMP was a great idea. I look forward to your next.

13. Gini says:

Megan, thank you very much for what you and CAMP have given to Omaha. I’m excited to see the fruition of your coming ventures!

14. This is just the beginning for you my dear. You are on the path to do many great things in addition to the things you have done. You have much to be proud of. You are fabulous!

15. Dearest Meg,
    You are an inspiration to SO MANY people and I am thrilled to be partnering with you on the next part of your journey. Love you!
    xx Rah

16. @Joe_Craig says:

Thank you.

17. Megan, I believe in you. Good luck with this next exciting chapter! Goals change and you are clear on your intentions. Can’t wait to visit Hello Holiday headquarters. Love to you and Sarah. <3

Warmest Regards,

Emma

18. Alison says:

Sorry to hear CAMP is closing. I too had to make a business model change based on finances. Look forward to hearing more about your upcoming success.

19. Rahul says:

Megan,

I’m sorry to hear about CAMP’s closing, but proud of you for following through on tough decisions: starting CAMP in the first place and now, closing the doors.

Your work at CAMP has advanced the community. Thanks you.

Rahul