In my process of overthrowing everything normal and comfortable in my life I went into a frenzy a few weeks ago redecorating my house. I didn’t buy anything new at all or spend any money, I just tried to visualize each room as a blank slate and use only what I really loved in each room.
- I moved almost everything (except big furniture) into the basement.
- I swapped two of my rooms–the former dining room is now the cozier living room with one couch, and the old living room now has more space to eat and entertain with a separate area for side conversations. The big table in there is easier to spread work out on when Sarah or Shannon comes over to work, too.
- I staged all of my knick-knacks and things on a table downstairs to sort of “shop” from.
- I moved upstairs fewer decorative things than I thought I needed, and put all the rest in plastic storage bins marked “decor” to dig through next year when I redecorate again.
- I took stock of my fabric remnants and whipped out a few quick pillows. These aren’t even of the easy pillow cover 101 variety–they’re just rectangles of fabric folded, sewn, and stuffed.
I really like this corner in my house now–my favorite chairs and pillows, plus a few new ones I made. It’s so comfortable to sit here with my feet up and work with a drink on the little side table.