alice’s outfit photos

Every day we take outfit photos in our office. Usually we model new clothing ourselves, but we like to have other models come in too so we can show lots of different body types and styles in our clothing. We invite friends to come over, ask them to choose their favorite pieces, and create their own outfits with our inventory. It’s a little bit like contracting a stylist, but we’d rather show how normal everyday women would wear our clothes rather than an expert. Most recently our friend Aubrey Savage, a local drag performer, came in to model some of her favorite dresses–we’ll be posting those photos on Twitter and Instagram over the next week while we’re in Vegas for our next market trip.

Sarah in a size 0/2 dress, me in a size 4/6. I’m 5’0 and she’s 5’8. Alice in her favorite stripes.

Alice also loves to pose for outfit photos. She pretty much gets how it works at this point. Stand, pose, cheese endlessly.

Working in the fashion and style industry, I try (but sometimes fail) to be very aware of the unrealistic pressures and expectations Big Beauty creates. To develop a career I love while being conscious of the conversation about beauty standards, I think it’s important to question and approach the question of “what’s normal” from lots of different angles. Including “everyday women,” women of color, trans- and non-cis-gendered women has helped open my eyes a lot to the relationships we have with our bodies. For my part, trying to just be aware of the materialism of this industry, modeling diversity and not taking ourselves too seriously in a business that can be so pretentious is one of the most important things to me as I raise my daughter. Watching Alice dress herself every day and seeing what she decides is one of the best parts of my day, and I hope she will always feel as confident about her choices as she did today when she picked out a dinosaur t-shirt, sweater pants, and a pair of rain boots.

7 − five =

6 thoughts on “alice’s outfit photos”

1. Emma Erickson says:

I like how they did the bust seam (eliminating the dart) in that orange sheath dress. Nice ladies. I love seeing clothing on real people.

thanks emma! if you ever wanna come model we’d love to have you! I LOVE the seam on that too–it’s really flattering.

2. kiki says:

I’m not sure what’s better – the polka-dot dress photobomb, or those teal shoes *swoon*.

those are sarah’s size 8s on my size 6 feet lul

3. Hey Asia! says:

“including “everyday women,” women of color, trans- and non-cis-gendered women ”

Music to my ears <3

aw thanks. I mess up a lot but I’m tryin.

− 6 = two

What would you do with a billion dollars?

Lately Sarah and I were talking about how much a million is, how much a billion is. The most striking thing I read recently that put it into perspective was that a million seconds is about a week and a half, but a billion seconds is nearly 32 years. Sarah asked me, what would I…

2014, in list form.

Wise people always say not to focus on the negative. It turns out that that's good advice, because there's a lot of positive out there. I was in a depressy mood last week depressing to my friend/advisor/midnight oil hero Jason about something I typically depress about, and when we started talking about what was good this year instead of bad, it felt like a much more successful year. Wildly so. Adventurous. Daring. Extraordinary. Fortuitous. And not nearly all work-related. My intention for 2015 is "less surviving, more living," but I sure did squeeze a lot of life out of the past year or so. 2014 is going down in history. Why not make a list? Here's mine.

Know that the next year will surpass all others.

"Oh passion-filled days, all steadfast and young, know that the next year will surpass all others, because it is new, and because it will be filled with moments that will remain unspoken of harsh and light, right along with your steady heart.
When we allow ourselves the sweetness of now, we may have all of the adventures that life has to offer in the coming year—if we are so fortunate as to have one."