alice’s outfit photos

Every day we take outfit photos in our office. Usually we model new clothing ourselves, but we like to have other models come in too so we can show lots of different body types and styles in our clothing. We invite friends to come over, ask them to choose their favorite pieces, and create their own outfits with our inventory. It’s a little bit like contracting a stylist, but we’d rather show how normal everyday women would wear our clothes rather than an expert. Most recently our friend Aubrey Savage, a local drag performer, came in to model some of her favorite dresses–we’ll be posting those photos on Twitter and Instagram over the next week while we’re in Vegas for our next market trip.

Sarah in a size 0/2 dress, me in a size 4/6. I’m 5’0 and she’s 5’8. Alice in her favorite stripes.

Alice also loves to pose for outfit photos. She pretty much gets how it works at this point. Stand, pose, cheese endlessly.

Working in the fashion and style industry, I try (but sometimes fail) to be very aware of the unrealistic pressures and expectations Big Beauty creates. To develop a career I love while being conscious of the conversation about beauty standards, I think it’s important to question and approach the question of “what’s normal” from lots of different angles. Including “everyday women,” women of color, trans- and non-cis-gendered women has helped open my eyes a lot to the relationships we have with our bodies. For my part, trying to just be aware of the materialism of this industry, modeling diversity and not taking ourselves too seriously in a business that can be so pretentious is one of the most important things to me as I raise my daughter. Watching Alice dress herself every day and seeing what she decides is one of the best parts of my day, and I hope she will always feel as confident about her choices as she did today when she picked out a dinosaur t-shirt, sweater pants, and a pair of rain boots.

1 × five =

6 thoughts on “alice’s outfit photos”

1. Emma Erickson says:

I like how they did the bust seam (eliminating the dart) in that orange sheath dress. Nice ladies. I love seeing clothing on real people.

thanks emma! if you ever wanna come model we’d love to have you! I LOVE the seam on that too–it’s really flattering.

2. kiki says:

I’m not sure what’s better – the polka-dot dress photobomb, or those teal shoes *swoon*.

those are sarah’s size 8s on my size 6 feet lul

3. Hey Asia! says:

“including “everyday women,” women of color, trans- and non-cis-gendered women ”

Music to my ears <3

aw thanks. I mess up a lot but I’m tryin.

four × = 4

The Local List! Meet the Airbnb Team in Omaha

Airbnb is hosting an event for Omaha residents as part of their Local List series. It's all happening this Saturday, March 7th from 12pm - 5pm at The Living Room at the Mastercraft Building, my old haunt!

Things

I love my apartment so much. I'm near all my favorite restaurants, less than a block away from my office, and everything is exactly how I like it. I just cleaned and polished all my wood floors and today Alice washed all the windows. I enjoy taking care of my things and maintaining the space. Every thing is a nice thing, every thing feels more luxurious, and you want fewer things, when you care for what you have.

Creep on my apartment, a haven for all things feminine.

I just finished a particularly heavy cleaning session with Alice and wanted to share. It seems like 4 1/2 is when they really start getting useful...she did a GREAT job cleaning the dishes, wood floors, windows, tabletops, mirrors, and dusting. I just organized and folded laundry. New Airbnb guest (a radio DJ!) coming tomorrow, and we can't wait to host her. Until then, take a look. I love where I live.

Tuesday Bassen x Hello Holiday launches TODAY!

We’re SUPER excited to announce our collaboration with L.A.-based illustrator and designer Tuesday Bassen launching TOMORROW, February 13. Our local customers in Omaha, Nebraska can come to our showroom and offices at 5008 Underwood Avenue to meet Tuesday (who’s flying in from L.A.!) and get a free limited-edition HHxTB tote bag with any purchase from the collection.…

Startup Weekend Nebraska: Sign up time!

I’m excited to be on the organizational team for Startup Weekend Nebraska along with a bunch of other heavy hitters from the region, and it’s finally time to sign up and get your tickets! Startup Weekend Nebraska is a 54-hour event in which developers, designers and marketers pitch ideas for new products or companies, form…