Posted on Dec, 06. 2013 Category in my closet Tags
This is the coat I bought this year to replace the pilled, stained, button-missing-too-small-stretched-out-not-warm-enough coats I’ve worn out over the last eight years or so. For someone who loves fashion, I really don’t have a lot of coats. We have a bunch from Tulle now at Hello Holiday, and after much thought I decided to make this one mine. (Coats are 20% off until the end of Saturday, btw!) The sleeves are a little long, but everything fits that way and it just serves to keep my hands a little warmer.
I’m going to Chicago this weekend–Cold, I know!–and I’ll be bringing all these pieces that I just love to dress up. The skirt could be worn with a thicker black sweater or cardigan, the top could be worn with a pencil skirt and tights….and with a flat platform, those shoes are comfy enough to walk everywhere in. I love having clothes that are special on their own.
I’m also excited about this jewelry–we’ve been looking for over a year for affordable, well-made costume-y jewelry in our trademark gaudy vintage-inspired style, and we finally found it. These bracelets in particular are super special, made by Omaha designer Andrea Trew with deadstock vintage chains and jewelry. I got one from her for my birthday last May and I wear it almost daily, which is why we decided to bring the to our customers too. It’s like the vintage bracelet you’re always searching for, and they’re exclusive to Hello Holiday. You can see more of Andrea’s other designs in her Etsy shop, MODafind.
Pink Lady Coat :: Twinkle Twinkle Little Top :: Strike a Posey Skirt :: Brook Heels :: Kiss Me in Kissimmee Necklace :: Mixed Media Bracelet
Posted on Dec, 05. 2013 Category out and about pertaining to alice Tags
Tonight Dave, Alice and I went to member’s night at the Joslyn Art Museum followed by dinner at our favorite place, Block 16. The Joslyn puts together a really nice party for members every month or so with snacks, music, guided tours, and art projects led by their passionate group of volunteers. The museum has recently become one of Alice’s favorite places to go after school, so I try to make it to every event with her.
Thank you, Joslyn Art Museum. My family has so much fun in you.
Posted on Dec, 03. 2013 Category in my journal Tags
For the past three years I have put together a blogging series every December with a daily writing prompt and accompanying essay or project here on my blog. I encouraged readers to follow along by participating on their own websites, and had many wonderful guest writers who shared their own reflections on each day’s theme. Some of you might have noticed that it’s now December third and I have not mentioned my plans yet for Radvent 2013. I went back and forth on the decision a lot this year, and then December came up fast and I felt much more comfortable making the right call.
Reasons I decided not to do Radvent in 2013:
- It takes a lot of emotional strength that I can’t find on a daily basis right now
- The daily time commitment would pull too much attention away from my job and my daughter
- I didn’t want to attempt it anyway and then give up or let the quality of content decline
- I don’t feel wise
- It feels good to wake up every morning during the holiday season and not have to immediately figure out when I can schedule time in front of the computer
- There are lots of AMAZING old Radvent posts to revisit (so it’s okay)
Things I am planning to do instead, and will write/share all about here:
- Contribute to a new book by project design goddess Jenny Doh
- Speak at the University of Nebraska-Omaha to the Mass Communication class I think?
- Take Alice to a holiday party at the Joslyn Art Museum
- Finish a billion bouquets for these three different brides (oh I’m nervous about getting these done)
- Work on making a home and take a break from hosting on Airbnb
- Speak about Hello Holiday at Omaha and Lincoln’s 1 Million Cups series
- Participate in Omahype’s annual Rock N Shop event at The Slowdown
- Make a DIY snowflake wreath out of white yarn for my dang apartment door
- Go to every Christmas and holiday party I can
If you want to look at posts from previous Radvent years, here they are! Or start with one of my favorites: