Archive for 'in my journal'
Posted on 03. Dec, 2013 by Princess Lasertron.
For the past three years I have put together a blogging series every December with a daily writing prompt and accompanying essay or project here on my blog. I encouraged readers to follow along by participating on their own websites, and had many wonderful guest writers who shared their own reflections on each day’s theme. Some of you might have noticed that it’s now December third and I have not mentioned my plans yet for Radvent 2013. I went back and forth on the decision a lot this year, and then December came up fast and I felt much more comfortable making the right call.
Reasons I decided not to do Radvent in 2013:
- It takes a lot of emotional strength that I can’t find on a daily basis right now
- The daily time commitment would pull too much attention away from my job and my daughter
- I didn’t want to attempt it anyway and then give up or let the quality of content decline
- I don’t feel wise
- It feels good to wake up every morning during the holiday season and not have to immediately figure out when I can schedule time in front of the computer
- There are lots of AMAZING old Radvent posts to revisit (so it’s okay)
Things I am planning to do instead, and will write/share all about here:
- Contribute to a new book by project design goddess Jenny Doh
- Speak at the University of Nebraska-Omaha to the Mass Communication class I think?
- Take Alice to a holiday party at the Joslyn Art Museum
- Finish a billion bouquets for these three different brides (oh I’m nervous about getting these done)
- Work on making a home and take a break from hosting on Airbnb
- Speak about Hello Holiday at Omaha and Lincoln’s 1 Million Cups series
- Participate in Omahype’s annual Rock N Shop event at The Slowdown
- Make a DIY snowflake wreath out of white yarn for my dang apartment door
- Go to every Christmas and holiday party I can
If you want to look at posts from previous Radvent years, here they are! Or start with one of my favorites:
Posted on 15. Nov, 2013 by Princess Lasertron.
Today is my best friend and business partner Sarah‘s birthday. I can’t give Sarah much, but I wanted to do somethin kinda special for the queen of lipstick today. She is full of kindness, compassion, and patience, but my favorite thing about working with Sarah is that she has me constantly dying every single day, laughing so hard I fall out of my chair. You have no idea how many times I have just needed a laugh, and her sense of humor lifted me up over a rainbow of smiles and fart jokes. ALL YEAR I’ve been collecting in a notepad file all of the funny things Sarah’s said, and on her birthday today I wanted to share them with you in honor of her and the joy and happiness she brings to my life and so many others. Please enjoy.
- “And that’s what you call a Tokyo drift!!!!!!!!” -Sarah yelling out a car window at someone I passed on the Interstate
- “When I was little I had a pinata accident.”
- “‘Rate my potato chip perk?’ NO problem. I don’t even have to think about my rating. Let me just upload that bad boy right now.”
- Me: My Klout says I’m a ‘broadcaster.’
Sarah: Mine says I’m ‘just like Cher.’
- “I’ve been thinking we need to carry these leggings covered in crosses. it’s like ‘Maybe I’m religious, because look at all these crosses. But maybe I’m not, because some of them are upside-down. maybe a little bit of both. You have no way of knowing.’”
- “Girl your ass looks haunted in those pants.”
- “What if I just shaved a bunch of fucking shit into my eyebrows?”
- Sarah: I want Frotox.
Me: what’s that?
Sarah: It’s not legal in the United States yet.
- “Maybe if I was in Japan going grocery shopping I would use a QR code. Other than that, no.”
- Sarah: I set up a date for us.
Me: Oh yay!
Sarah: It’s not what you think. We’ve got reservations at McDonalds, then we’re gonna go get Frotox. ……..This is all I think about, Megan. Just, new technologies.
- “Don’t give me a vibrator at my baby shower. if I had to open a vibrator in front of my parents I would kill myself.” -Sarah after I asked her what she wanted for a baby gift, when I hadn’t mentioned vibrators at all.
- “Oh. From the crack, back to the front. Got it.”
- “Is this illuminati?” -Sarah holding a cherry danish from Panera over one eye
- “Can you just get that tattooed on you? the square root of sixty-nine? then an equal sign and ‘eight-somethin’?”
- “Any door you enter, I will let you in. Front door? Back door? Ear door? Nose door? Any door.” -Sarah absent-mindedly singing along to Rihanna’s “What’s My Name” in the other room while she wrote product descriptions
- “Remember how this is your next wedding music? You’re gonna think you’re playing the Coast to Coast AM theme song but then the Law and Order SVU theme will play, and you’ll just see me in the dj booth. Then I’m gonna walk down the aisle after you wailing on the guitar.”
- “What is this? an espresso machine?” -Sarah looking at a picture online of a Catholic tabernacle
- “My best tip? Sleep with your head wrapped in Saran so you don’t have to redo your makeup each day!”
- “More like Barnes and Nobility.” -Sarah looking in the mirror talking to herself as she put on lipstick
- Me: What’s Law and Order?
Sarah: This underground indie show with like 5 episodes and no spinoffs.
- “We can use swear words in our product descriptions. We are post-based.”
- “At my funeral, say ‘This is for Sarah, she was really hot’ and throw on Mariah’s Honey at full volume and have a bunch of gay sailors dancing on my grave.”
- “Shit. I can’t download Space Jam on iTunes.”
To celebrate Sarah’s big day we’re also having a Hello Holiday promotion with 20% off all shoes, jewelry and sweaters–no code required. Happy shopping and Happy birthday dear Sarah!
Posted on 10. Nov, 2013 by Princess Lasertron.
1: We still have some of these left! 2: I love it when Alice surprises me with a big hug or kiss during a selfie moment. Such a genuine smile, such genuine love.
3: We started using a professional photographer for all of our Hello Holiday product shots. Justin Limoges did all the photos for my book (coming May 2014), and we’re so grateful to have him in charge of our website photos now too. (This is our Plaid to Meet You sweater.) 4: This brow moment brought to you by the incomparable genius Dustin Hajek.
5: I finally installed a lower rod in Alice’s closet to her great delight. 6: Alice’s photo of the day.
7: Sarah and I got asked to go livetweet the final dress rehearsal for Opera Omaha’s Carmen last week. We had SUCH a blast and brought in secret coffee and pie. I love opera and Omaha has a fantastic organization here that plays such an influential role in our creative/performing arts landscape. Another thing I LOVE about Omaha. 8: Live-texting while live-tweeting.
9: Sitting in a Rebecca Forsyth set before the Justice For Our Neighbors-Nebraska enVISION benefit. 10: I’ve been trying out a new ride! It’s a 2001 Chrysler 300 that used to belong to the Omaha Symphony. I would be thrilled for mere working heat and headlights, but the four doors (and remote lock!) just put it over the top of luxury.
11: Trick-or-treating with my little bat. 12: Alice and her rat fascinated with a bonfire at a family farm party.
13: Big soda and thank-you notes. Reminder to write a thank-you note if you haven’t in a while. 14: The perfect Saturday morning.
15: More hair setting in the chair of one Ms. Forsyth at Bungalow 8, generally understood of course to be the best stylist in the world at the best salon in Omaha. 16: Coffee table.
17: The most bathroom of bathroom selfies. Dress borrowed from Sarah. She’s expecting her first child in February and I am basically helping myself to anything in her pre-pregnancy wardrobe at this point. 18: When I got to that last sentence I had tears. Yes. This. Exactly.