Posted on Mar, 30. 2010 Category in my closet pertaining to alice Tags
Working all day on finishing touches for the runway show tomorrow. Well, a few “beginning” touches too–I’m not quite to the “finishing” stage.
Posted on Mar, 26. 2010 Category in the studio Tags
My friend Joi is hands-down the absolute best clothing designer, patternmaker, and seamstress I have ever seen in my life. Anything you can dream up, any style of garment or technical detail, can be realized by this woman with a few yards of fabric and a dress form. She is one of those designers who truly understands the fundamentals of her craft, which is something many up-and-coming designers cannot say.
Joi is my partner in the Princess Lasertron by Dress Forms dress line launching this September, and she was recently honored by sewing machine manufacturer Baby Lock as their newest national spokeswoman (or “spokessewer,” as Joi puts it). After Joi won the Passion for Fashion competition at the last American Sewing Expo, Baby Lock identified her as an up-and-coming “design star.” She will also be adding a new program called “Love of Fashion” to the already popular “Love of Sewing” series taught by celebrity Nancy Zieman.
This picture is from a photoshoot she recently did for an industry magazine cover–I don’t know if I have the green light yet to talk about that but seeing Joi’s progress makes me so proud of her and grateful for her guidance and help on the dress line! I first met her almost three years ago when she created my wedding dress and she is just a huge influence on me.
So yeah not to beat this horse to a dead, glue-y pulp, but I need to fill you guys in about the runway preview event next week. I’ll do this in list form because this entry has been pretty paragraph-y so far:
- It’s Wednesday, March 31 at 6pm. Show starts at 7:30.
- I will be showing five new pieces.
- One of my looks will be auctioned off and the winner gets to take their pick.
- Tickets are $50 through Saturday with discount code “designer” at checkout. After that, they are $75 with the code. Click here to be taken to the event page where you can purchase a ticket.
- That includes snacks and an open bar! So worth it.
- I would sort of kill for an open bar right now.
- Proceeds go to the Omaha Women’s Fund.
If you can make it to the show, I’d love to see you. I also think it’d be super cool to have a big crowd of my friends to support me, the work Joi is doing, and all of my amazing models. And if you can’t go, no big deal.