Posted on Jul, 17. 2010 Category around the house Tags
My parents own a home in Spirit Lake, Iowa near the area where my mother grew up. A few years ago, the house completely flooded. When my parents went to see the damage, the walls were sagging and crumbling and the floors were destroyed–most of the house was then rebuilt.
The silver lining in that catastrophe was that my mother got to completely redecorate.
…black and white checkerboard floors
…black cabinets with wainscoting
…a gigantic picture window
…thick black trim and baseboards
…a gigantic new shower in the master bath
Re-doing a house is fun but it’s the accessories that make it feel like home again. Like a collection.
My mom collects Iowa plates and dishes. When the swamp house was fixed up and re-done, she began to move all of her belongings back into the home and found a special place for her collection.
Everybody who visits the house stands in front of them and scrutinizes every piece–the words, the hand-painted illustrations, the interesting differences.
I can’t believe that this many state-themed plates exist in the first place.
Let alone that my mom seems to have found them all.
I love that this detail in my parents’ home is so personal to them–not just bought for the sake of displaying, but a collection that brings my mom back to her roots in beautiful Iowa.
I don’t have any collections personally. I can’t find the right thing.
Posted on Jul, 16. 2010 Category grab bag Tags
- Clever snack trays for a car ride or vacation at Inspireco
- There are 21,000 outfit possibilities from this silk georgette dress collection available in 143 colors. This is a dream wardrobe–it would be so simple to get dressed every day with a closet of these beautiful soft dresses. They by Kostas Murkudis and are sold in Berlin at Andreas Murkudis’s store in Mitte. (Found at Style Bubble)
- ABC paper cups
- A Scandinavian-style little girl’s playroom in the home of Jeanette Lunde who writes Fryd Design
- Papier Mache, a web-based magazine
- This vintage twin stroller photo…doesn’t that just look like trouble? Found via my friend Paul.
this was my little mailbox at dana college.
whenever I got a package, a little post-it note with “you have a package!” or “special delivery!” hand-scribbled on it was slipped inside.
that is why small colleges are the best.